Sunday, November 13, 2011

Hurt

A friend posted this video on Facebook yesterday.  I love the song, the raw honesty of Johnny Cash's voice, the layers of meaning and experience.


Today, it is one of those songs I want to play over and over again.  It captures the way I feel.  Resonates.  Even the "You stay the hell away from me.  You here?"  


It's not where I will land, but it is where I am at the moment.


Somehow, I have learned over time that it is not okay to feel, that I should suppress my negative emotions.  I am relearning now how to acknowledge that the feelings exist and to genuinely feel them.  It is scary.  It takes time.  I fear the feelings will spiral out of control. 


But I've been here before.  I think I'm beginning to trust myself, that though I will sink into the depth of the feelings, I will not wallow.  Not for long, at least.




If I could start again, a millions miles away.  I would keep myself.  I would find a way.


The song stirs up memories too.  Young Johnny Cash reminds me of my paternal grandpa, who always scared me a little.  My dad is a good dad, especially considering where he came from.


It reminds me too of when I first heard the song almost five years ago.  A group of high school dancers performed to it at our church.  I was a guest speaker that morning and it was the first time I'd spoken in a few years.  The previous time had been at another church and was disastrous.  It wasn't poorly executed; it was just too polished.  This time around, I was nervous to speak again, wanting to redeem myself, sorting through the hurt of that past "failure."  


Our church was in the middle of a series on The Lord's Prayer, and my topic was "Forgive us our sins."  I began the sermon quoting some of the song lyrics:  "and you could have it all/ my empire of dirt/ I will let you down/ I will make you hurt."  


We don't typically think of Nine Inch Nails, the song's original performers, as theologians, but what they've written sounds to me like a deeply honest confession of sin, one I can relate to.


Dallas Willard defines confession of sin as saying to God and perhaps to others, "This is how I really am." 


This song is how I really am.  I hurt.  I cause it.  I feel it.  Right now, I really feel it.


Interestingly, when I watched the video yesterday, it locked up on the shot of Christ's agonized expression, a crown of thorns on his head.  I restarted the video; it stopped there again.  The same thing happened a third time.  If the video plays normally, the face shot is briefer than a blink.  I'm not entirely sure what to make of that, though I have some ideas.  


But I will not moralize or guilt myself into good-Christian thoughts.  I will allow myself to feel God-created feelings that are good, even in a fallen world.  This is not where I will land, but it is where I am at the moment.  And moments, regardless of their tone, are worth experiencing and in their own way celebrating.

2 comments:

  1. For those of you who know me, I should add that my marriage is great and so is my family. Do not fear. This is not about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I see his face it makes me want to grow old and earn all those lines. I think I've been taken with that since your recent art post. It's amazing the video stopped there, in that place, three times. I remember someone I respected told me once that God's rope of love would always catch me, even though I felt like the fall off the cliff was the end of safety. It does us no good to attempt to control the feelings as we're falling, but it does help to know we'll land in a safe place. Loved. Sounds like you already know that to be true.

    ReplyDelete