Friday, June 1, 2012

A Money Making Opportunity!

When I was thirteen, my dad charged my brother and me with a daunting task: to clear our new home's horse pasture of thistles.  For each thistle bloom we collected, he offered us both a penny.




Bored and greedy, we accepted the challenge.

We clipped 900 thistle blooms that summer morning.  900.  And so, we each earned nine dollars for our efforts.

For years, I thought we had really pulled one over on Dad.  I figured he had figured we'd only collect about a hundred or so.  Boy was he fooled, I thought.

Then just a couple of years ago, it occurred to me that for a mere eighteen dollars, he managed both to occupy his bored children for a morning and to clear his pasture of thistles.

Well played, Dad.  Well played.
--------------------------

(Thanks to my creative friend, Jennifer at http://apoemlife.blogspot.com for the lovely thistle photo!)

1 comment: